This hearty autumn salad combines nutty wild rice, dried cranberries, and toasted pecans in a slightly sweet orange-scented vinaigrette. Serve as a light vegetarian meal or side dish to roast chicken, turkey or pork.
- 1 cup wild rice, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 2 scallions, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon orange zest and 2 tablespoons juice from one orange
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Freshly ground black pepper
Add rice, salt and 3 1/2 cups water to a pot and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low, cover and simmer until rice is done, about 50 minutes. Transfer rice to strainer to drain any excess water, then set aside to cool.
Combine rice with cranberries, pecans, scallions, olive oil, vinegar, orange zest, orange juice, and honey. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then serve.