This easy bean appetizer takes only five minutes to prepare, but it does rely on some high quality ingredients for optimal flavor. Tender, creamy giant lima beans are worth the splurge when you're coating them with your best extra-virgin olive oil, sherry vinegar, and a pinch of smoked paprika. Celery, shallots, and garlic round out the flavor profile and add crunchy texture.
Why this recipe works: Pairing jarred beans with flavor-packed ingredients and a nice balance of vinegar and olive oil makes a delicious dish that takes just five minutes to prepare.
Note: Large beans can be found in the bean section of a well-stocked supermarket. You can also find them in specialty Italian, Greek, or Spanish import markets. This dish can also be made with dried beans: Soak 1 cup of dried beans in a large bowl of salted water overnight at room temperature. Rinse the beans and cook them in salted water until tender, about 45 minutes. Drain, spread into a single layer on a towel-lined baking sheet, and let them cool. Proceed with recipe as directed.
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 medium shallot, minced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon mild smoked paprika
- 2 stalks celery, peeled and cut on a bias into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 (15-ounce) jar or can of large cooked beans such as gigantes, giant lima beans, giant white beans, or butter beans, drained and rinsed (see note)
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Crusty bread for serving
Combine 2 tablespoon olive oil, tomato paste, paprika, garlic, and shallot in a medium skillet and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and starting to bubble gently, about 2 minutes. Stir in smoked paprika and cook for 30 seconds. Add celery, drained beans, vinegar, and remaining olive oil. Cook until barely warmed through, about 1 minute. Stir in parsley, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve immediately with crusty bread.