This is the vinaigrette featured in the recipe for Micro-Steamed Asparagus With Poached Egg and Walnut Vinaigrette, but it's also great on roasted vegetables, like beets or sweet potatoes, or on robust bitter greens, such as radicchio, endive, or frisée.
- 2 ounces (about 1/2 cup) walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) water
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) honey
- 1 small shallot, minced or grated on a Microplane (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 cup (120ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60ml) canola oil
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) walnut oil (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine walnuts, vinegar, water, mustard, honey, and shallot in a medium bowl and whisk together. To keep it from moving, set bowl inside a heavy medium saucepan lined with a dish towel. Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in olive and canola oil; the dressing should emulsify and thicken significantly. Whisk in walnut oil, if using. Season with salt and pepper. The dressing will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks; shake vigorously before using.