This egg-free, spiced whole wheat cake is flavored with orange and black pepper.
Adapted from Gina de Palma
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Orange Blossom honey
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). Grease a 10-inch cake pan with olive oil.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, black pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
In a large bowl, beat together olive oil and sugar until pale and creamy. Beat in honey and lemon juice. Beat in orange and lemon zest.
Add flour mixture to the bowl and beat until just combined. Beat in orange juice.
Pour batter into prepared cake pan and smooth evenly. Bake until dry on top and a cake tester comes out clean, about 35 minutes.