For a quick but bold flavored and deeply satisfying weeknight dinner, it’s hard to top this delicious lamb and meatball pita pocket recipe. With its rich flavor, lamb is a great choice of meat for mixing with bright herbs to create a delectable meatball that can work well in pita or lettuce bibs.
Lamb is also a perfect complement for oyster sauce, which rounds out the rich flavor with its earthy, sweet-and-savory taste. Our brand of choice? Lee Kum Kee Panda Brand Oyster Flavored Sauce, which comes from a company that’s been in the condiment business for over a century—and makes more than 200 different sauces. Lee Kum Kee Oyster Sauce is a great, all-purpose staple that belongs in your pantry, whether you’re seasoning meatballs with it, turning it into a marinade, or using it as a dipping sauce. It’s a no-brainer way to achieve big, bold flavor within minutes and can be easily found in the Asian food aisle of major supermarkets.
Oyster sauce is the secret weapon in this quick and easy recipe and will be any time you use it. You’d be hard-pressed to find a food that oyster sauce didn’t improve, either subtly or boldly. If you haven’t already tried the stuff, or even if you have, start with the high-quality, authentic brand Lee Kum Kee. As in these simple meatballs, Lee Kum Kee Oyster Sauce is a terrific and easy way to add an extra dimension to a dish and put a spin on the classics.
Healthy Lamb Meatballs in Pita
Yield: 8 servings
Active Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
For the meatballs
1 lb. ground lamb
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons coarsely grated onion and their juices (from about 1/2 small onion)
1 large egg
1 1/2 tablespoons Lee Kum Kee Panda Brand Oyster Flavored Sauce
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
For the dressing
1/2 cup parsley leaves and tender stems, roughly chopped
1/2 cup cilantro leaves and tender stems, roughly chopped (or substitute mint)
4 jalapeños, seeded or not, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, sliced
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon water
5 tablespoons oil
1 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
4 pitas pockets, cut in half
3 to 4 Persian cucumbers, sliced lengthwise
1 red chili pepper, thinly sliced
1. Heat the broiler on high with a rack four inches from heating element.
2. Mix together lamb, breadcrumbs, parsley, onion, egg, Lee Kum Kee Panda Brand Oyster Flavored Sauce, and pepper until just combined.
3. Roll into 1 1/4-inch meatballs (about 32 pieces). Drizzle with two tablespoons of oil and broil, shaking pan occasionally to encourage even cooking, until browned and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a mini food processor or blender, pulse together parsley, cilantro, jalapeños, garlic, lemon juice, salt, cumin, and water. Pulse until mixture is evenly chopped, scraping down sides as necessary. Stir in oil. Taste and add more salt or lemon juice if necessary.
5. Lightly toast pita bread. Smear 2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt inside each pita and sprinkle with salt to taste. Layer in lettuce, meatballs, cucumber slices, and dressing. Top with chili pepper; serve immediately.