These quick and tender turkey burgers are packed with flavor, including a topping of charred scallions and a flavor-packed sriracha mayo. They're a delicious 30-minute meal.
Why this recipe works:
- The burger patty is gently mixed with fresh herbs and garlic to amp up the turkey's flavor without overworking the meat.
- Using dark meat results in patties that are more juicy and flavorful than ones made with white meat.
Note: While dark meat from turkey thighs results in the juiciest, most flavorful patties, breast meat will also work well here.
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage from 1 medium head
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/2 cup loosely packed mint leaves, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup mayonnaise, preferably Kewpie brand
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 pound ground turkey meat, preferably dark meat
- 1 1/2 cups loosely packed cilantro leaves and fine stems, roughly chopped
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced or grated with a Microplane
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 scallions, dark green parts cut into 2-inch pieces on the diagonal
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 4 burger buns, toasted
Combine cabbage, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, fish sauce, and mint in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside. Stir together mayonnaise and sriracha in a small bowl and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, gently combine the turkey, salt, pepper, cilantro, and garlic, being careful not to overwork it, until just combined. Form into 4 loosely packed patties.
Heat the oil in large skillet over medium heat until lightly smoking. Add the patties and cook until browned and crispy, about 6 minutes per side. Let rest.
Meanwhile, pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan and heat over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add scallions and cook until browned in spots, about 2 minutes. Add sesame seeds and cook until light browned and fragrant, about 30 seconds longer. Let rest 5 minutes.
Place the slaw on bottom bun halves, top with burger patties and scallions. Spread mayo on top bun halves, close burgers and serve immediately.