- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots (about 1 medium)
- 2 teaspoons freshly minced garlic (about 2 medium cloves)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can of crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add shallots and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and crushed red pepper and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce to low and simmer until sauce has slightly thickened, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
Stir in mint, basil, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Use immediately or transfer to an airtight container and store in refrigerator for up to a week.