Fat slices of heirloom tomatoes with garlicky mayonnaise, olive oil, chives, and sea salt on toasted sourdough bread.
- 4 slices of hearty bread, such as French pain au levain or sourdough
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium clove garlic split in half, and 1 medium clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Homemade or store-bought mayonnaise
- 1 pound ripe heirloom tomatoes, roughly sliced
- Coarse sea salt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
Preheat broiler to high and adjust rack to 6 inches below element. Brush bread slices on all sides with 2 tablespoons olive oil and rub with split garlic clove on all surfaces. Season with salt and pepper. Place on a rimmed baking sheet or broiler pan and broil until golden brown and toasted on first side, about 3 minutes. Flip and broil until second side is toasted, about 2 minutes longer.
Combine mayonnaise, minced garlic, and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a small bowl and stir to incorporate. Spread 3/4 of mayonnaise evenly over toast.
Spread tomato slices over toast and sprinkle with sea salt. Dollop with more mayo, extra olive oil, and sprinkle with chives. Serve immediately.