Why It Works
- Adding water to the cocktail simulates the dilution of ice in an individual stirred drink; this way you can pour it right from the bottle into serving glasses and have it taste perfect.
- Chilling for two-to-four hours in the freezer (or longer in the fridge followed by a brief stint in the freezer) nails the serving temperature so the drink is neither too cold nor too warm.
Reprinted with permission from Batch Cocktails: Make-Ahead Pitcher Drinks for Every Occasion by Maggie Hoffman, copyright © 2019. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House.
We like our drinks nicely tailored, with every element well matched and fitting right. This smooth little number from Steven Huddleston of Parcel 32 in Charleston, South Carolina, fits the bill, starting with a base of barrel-aged tequila, which layers agave’s grassy notes with soft vanilla aromatics. The reposado tequila blends seamlessly into oloroso sherry, which adds roundness and a nutty caramel note.
- 2 cups (475ml) reposado tequila
- 1 cup (235ml) oloroso sherry
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) orange bitters
- 1/4 cup 1:1 simple syrup (see note)
- 3/4 cup (175ml) water
At least 2 hours and up to 4 hours before serving, use a small funnel to pour tequila, oloroso sherry, bitters, simple syrup, and water into a 1-liter swing-top bottle. Seal, turn gently end over end to mix, and chill in freezer. (If you’d prefer to batch further in advance, refrigerate filled bottle, then place in freezer an hour or two before serving.)
1-liter swing-top bottle
To make 1:1 simple syrup, combine 3/4 cup sugar and 3/4 cup very hot water in a resealable heatproof container, such as a mason jar, and stir to dissolve slightly. As soon as it’s cool enough to handle, seal container and shake until sugar is completely dissolved. Let cool completely before use; refrigerate for up to 2 weeks. Reserve any remaining simple syrup for another use (like another cocktail or sweetening iced tea or coffee, or lemonade).
Make-Ahead and Storage
The cocktail can be mixed up to 2 weeks in advance and refrigerated; transfer to the freezer 1 to 2 hours before serving to chill it fully.