If you drink a Dark 'n Stormy and think, "I'd like to turn this up a notch," this is the cocktail for you, courtesy of The Wayland in NYC. Fresh ginger juice adds heat, rum adds richness, and lime juice keeps it bright.
Note: This drink is easily multiplied. If you want to make these in bulk, use a juicer to squeeze fresh ginger juice and get the best yield. If you're only making one serving, a muddler works fine and saves you some cleaning up. To make simple syrup, combine 1 cup water with 1 cup sugar in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Cool before using. Simple syrup will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- 1/2 ounce fresh ginger juice (from about 1 1/4 ounces peeled ginger root, about 5 inches)
- 1 ounce white rum
- 1 ounce aged rum
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 2 limes)
- 3/4 ounce simple syrup (see note)
- 1 3/4 ounces porter or stout
- Garnish: lime wheel and candied ginger, if desired
Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add ginger juice, both rums, lime juice, and simple syrup and shake until very chilled.
Strain into an ice-filled serving glass, top with beer, garnish with lime and candied ginger if desired.
muddler, cocktail shaker and strainer