Why It Works
- Shaking the drink aerates it slightly, giving it a great, very lightly foamy texture.
- Herbal Chartreuse and bittersweet Gran Classico bring a sophisticated depth to an otherwise bracing, chilling, and refreshing drink.
This variation on The Last Word, created by Dan Chadwick of Kindred Cocktails, leaves out the maraschino liqueur and instead pairs the smooth, citrusy amaro Gran Classico with gin, Green Chartreuse, and fresh lime juice. The resulting drink is fresh and tart, with an herbal backbone and a bracing, bitter edge. It's like a gimlet mashed with a Negroni, or a margarita that's pleasingly bitter.
- 3/4 ounce (20ml) fresh juice from 1 to 2 limes
- 3/4 ounce (20ml) Green Chartreuse
- 3/4 ounce (20ml) Gran Classico
- 3/4 ounce (20ml) gin (see note)
Add lime, Green Chartreuse, Gran Classico, and gin to a cocktail shaker and fill with ice. Shake until well chilled, about 12 seconds, then strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Cocktail shaker and strainer
We love this drink with Bluecoat American Dry Gin from Philadelphia, but you can use whatever gin you have on hand.