Note: This recipe assumes that you have some toasted-rice powder (also referred to as roasted rice powder) somewhere in your pantry. You can buy it from an Asian grocery store, but sometimes you risk ending up with old, rancid toasted-rice powder. It's better to make your own. The process is easy and doesn't take long. Toasted-rice powder, stored in an airtight container, keeps at room temperature for months.
The recipe calls for green onions as a handy substitute for the more traditional shallots. Feel free to replace the green onions with the same amount of thinly-sliced shallots, if desired.
- 1/2 cup fresh juice from 6 to 10 limes
- 1/2 cup Thai fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely-chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely-chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted rice powder (see note)
- 1 tablespoon dried red pepper powder