I am going to receive a whole deer neck via FedEx tomorrow. It has been skinned and frozen solid, but is otherwise pretty much intact. I would like some advice from anyone here experienced with taking deer apart.
I would like to remove the muscles from each other and from the bone in as large and unmolested pieces as possible.
- What things should I look out for or avoid?
- Any glands or other organs I should make sure to remove?
- Is there anything I should be careful not to puncture that might taint the meat?
- Is there any tasty offal in there I should keep, such as the sweetbreads?
- Anything else I haven't asked about that is important to know???
I plan on consulting some books and websites on the matter, but was hoping I could get some pointers from the community.