Taleggio Cheese and Mission Fig Tartine Recipe
- 4 slices of hearty bread, such as French pain au levain or sourdough
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium clove garlic split in half, and 1 medium clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 to 6 ounces creamy washed-rind cheese such as Taleggio or Morbier
- 12 ripe Mission figs, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- Coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
Preheat broiler to high and adjust rack to 6 inches below element. Brush bread slices on all sides with 2 tablespoons olive oil and rub with split garlic clove on all surfaces. Season with salt and pepper. Place on a rimmed baking sheet or broiler pan and broil until golden brown and toasted on first side, about 3 minutes. Flip and broil until second side is toasted, about 2 minutes longer.
Divide cheese evenly between bread slices and spread over top surfaces, trying to cover from edge to edge. Shingle with fig slices. Broil until cheese is melted and figs are beginning to caramelize, about 5 minutes total. Remove from broiler, drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and chives, and serve.