Notes: I use halibut steaks here, but you can use anything you like. I recommend halibut, salmon, and trout.
- 2 small halibut steaks (about 4 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup store-bought Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 2 red bird's eye (or jalapeño) chilies, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 small shallots, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Steamed jasmine rice for serving
Fill a large pot or wok with 1 to 2 inches of water and place a steamer insert inside. Alternatively, adjust oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange fish steaks in a glass baking dish that just fits them. Combine chili sauce, oyster sauce, chilies, and shallots in a small bowl. Pour sauce over steaks.
Cover dish tightly with foil. Place in steamer or oven and cook until fish is barely cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves and serve with steamed jasmine rice