Oven-baking oatmeal is a great alternative to stovetop because it's hands-free. It's easy to add in as many extra flavorings (fruit, spices, nuts) as you want. Here, big, juicy strawberries and crunchy almonds will trick you into thinking this dish is more dessert than breakfast.
Why this recipe works:
- Oven baking is a no-fuss, hands-off way to cook oatmeal.
- Strawberries provide tart and juicy contrast to the sweet oatmeal.
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 20 ounces strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, plus more for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for greasing dish
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease shallow 2-quart baking dish. Scatter oats, almonds, and strawberries into baking dish.
Whisk 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, egg, milk, and melted butter in medium bowl until combined. Pour into baking dish. Using spoon, gently press oats into liquid to moisten evenly.
Scatter remaining tablespoon brown sugar over top and bake until center is just set, about 30 minutes. Serve immediately, passing extra brown sugar at the table.
2-quart shallow baking dish