These beef kebabs pair marinated steak with mushrooms and onions to deliver a steakhouse experience on a stick.
Why this recipe works:
- Sirloin tips provide the right balance between tenderness and flavor for kebabs.
- Using 1 1/2-inch cubes allows the steak enough time to sear over direct heat and still remain medium-rare to medium inside.
- A robust marinade of Worcestershire, soy sauce, lemon juice, mustard, and garlic gives these kebabs a big steakhouse flavor.
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 3 medium cloves)
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds beef sirloin tips, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, cleaned and halved
- 1 large red onion, sliced into 1 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 onion layers each)
- Type of fire: Direct
- Grill heat: medium-high
Whisk together oil, Worcestershire, soy sauce, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, brown sugar, and black pepper in a small bowl. Place beef cubes and mushrooms in a large resealable plastic bag. Add marinade and seal bag, pressing out as much air as possible. Marinate, refrigerated, for at least 1 and up to 5 hours.
Thread beef onto skewers, alternating with mushrooms and onions.
Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over entire surface of coal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Grill skewers until beef is well seared on all sides and center of beef registers between 125-130°F on an instant read thermometer, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer skewers to platter and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
Grill; metal or bamboo kebab skewers (if using bamboo skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes before using)