Why It Works
- Salsa verde, with its bright flavors from several pickled and preserved ingredients, is the ideal way to perk up leftover steak and corn.
- The fresh sauce takes only moments to whisk together.
A refreshing but hearty salad with steak, corn, and a punchy Spanish-style salsa verde.
- For the Salsa Verde:
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and finely minced
- 8 cornichons, finely minced
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves, minced, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, minced, plus more for garnish
- 6 anchovy fillets, minced
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the Salad:
- 2 ears corn, in the husk
- 3/4 pound leftover grilled or pan-seared steak, chilled and thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
For the Salsa Verde: Combine capers, cornichons, garlic, parsley, mint, anchovies, shallot, mustard, and sherry vinegar in a large bowl. Whisking constantly, drizzle in extra-virgin olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
For the Salad: Shuck and grill corn over a hot grill or under the broiler, turning frequently, until tender and charred in spots, about 8 minutes total. Alternatively, place corn on a microwave-safe plate and microwave until steamed and tender, about 7 minutes. Allow to rest until cool enough to handle, then cut off kernels. Discard cobs.
Combine corn, steak, and red onion in a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup of the salsa verde and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving platter and spoon additional salsa verde over. Garnish with parsley and mint leaves and serve immediately. Extra salsa verde can be stored in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.