These 20-minute tacos make for a great family-style dinner or a quick weeknight meal. Finishing the chicken thighs in a flavorful braising liquid filled with spicy chipotles in adobo yields tender, moist meat that's topped with a raw corn-and-feta salad and creamy slices of avocado.
Why this recipe works:
- Searing the meat first renders fat that creates a flavorful base for the sauce.
- The addition of the broth makes it easy to scrape up the tasty brown bits on the bottom of the pan and creates a flavorful liquid for finishing the chicken.
- A simple raw corn and feta garnish with avocado helps balance the heat from the chipotles in adobo.
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño, stemmed, seeded, and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 chipotles in adobo, plus 1 tablespoon of sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 ears of corn, kernels sliced off
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta, preferably Bulgarian
- 2 tablespoons fresh juice from 2 limes
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 cup picked cilantro leaves
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted and sliced
- Lime wedges and thinly sliced scallions, for serving
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until lightly smoking. Add chicken and cook until browned on both sides, about 6 minutes total. Transfer chicken to a plate.
In the same pot over medium heat, add onion and jalapeño and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in cumin and oregano until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add chipotles and their sauce, stirring to combine, and cook for 1 minute. Add broth and nestle the chicken back in the pot. Adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a clean plate. Allow cooking liquid to reduce slightly.
Meanwhile, shred chicken with 2 forks. Return chicken and any accumulated juices to the pot and cook until warmed through, about 3 minutes.
In a small bowl, combine corn with feta, seasoning with 1 tablespoon of lime juice and pepper.
Stir remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice into chicken, then spoon onto the tortillas. Serve with the corn salsa, cilantro, avocado, lime wedges, and scallions.