Sother Teague of Amor y Amargo in NYC shared this rye cocktail recipe with us, and it's a winner, spicy with lots of fresh ginger and bright from a bunch of fresh lime.
- For the Fresh Ginger Syrup:
- 1 1/2 ounces fresh ginger (about 4 inches long), peeled
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- For the Cocktail:
- 2 ounces Bulleit rye whiskey
- 3/4 ounce fresh ginger syrup
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice from 1 to 2 limes
- Garnish: lime twist or lime wheel
For the Ginger Syrup: Slice ginger into chunks and place in bottom of mixing glass. Muddle until broken up well. Strain juice through fine-mesh tea strainer, pressing on solids to extract juice. Measure out 1/2 ounce fresh ginger juice, pour into small glass, mix with sugar until dissolved, stirring well. Mixture will be very thick.
For the Cocktail: Pour rye, 3/4 ounce ginger syrup and lime juice into a cocktail shaker. Fill with ice and shake until well chilled, about 15 seconds. Strain into coupe, garnish as desired and serve.
Cocktail shaker, muddler, and strainer