Note: You can use bacon in lieu of the pancetta if you prefer or have difficulty finding pancetta.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 pound pancetta, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, roughly chopped or shredded with a mandoline (about 6 cups)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 12 large scallops
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add pancetta and cook, stirring, until most of the fat is rendered and it begins to crisp, about 2 minutes. Add shallots and Brussels sprouts, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until browned, about six minutes. Stir in vinegar, scraping up any brown bits, then transfer to a plate and set aside. Wipe out skillet with a paper towel.
Pat the scallops dry and season generously with salt and pepper. Return skillet to medium-high heat and add butter. Heat until foaming subsisdes, then add the scallops and allow to cook without moving until golden brown on first side, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip, return the Brussels sprouts mixture to warm through and continue cooking until scallops are barely cooked through, about 2 minutes longer. Serve immediately.