Salmorejo is cold tomato soup from Córdoba, Spain that can easily be thickened into a great, refreshing dip.
- 4 cups packed torn rustic white bread, preferably day-old and slightly stale
- 4 cups warm water
- 1 pound roma tomatoes, peeled, halved, and seeded
- 1 medium garlic clove, peeled
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Sherry vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 hard-boiled egg, coarsely chopped
- 2-3 slices thinly sliced Ibérico or Serrano ham, finely diced
Place bread in a medium bowl and cover with warm water. Let sit for 15 minutes, then drain and squeeze bread of excess liquid.
Place bread, tomatoes, garlic, oil, and vinegar in the workbowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl as necessary. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Transfer dip to a container, cover, and place in refrigerator until chilled, about 1 hour. Transfer to serving dish, top with hard-boiled egg and ham. Serve with toasted bread.