Note: Start this recipe with a whole, unsliced sandwich bread loaf, such as Pullman, and slice the bread about 3/16 inch thick for delicate tea sandwiches. Labne is a yogurt cheese, available at many specialty markets. If you can't find labne, place 4 cups Greek yogurt in a cheesecloth-lined strainer over a bowl and allow to drain, refrigerated, for 12 hours. Do use the English cucumber in this recipe as it has fewer seeds and is less watery.
Herbed Cucumber Radish Tea Sandwiches Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups labne (See note)
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped dill
- 2/3 cup finely minced chives
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 12 thin slices white sandwich bread, crust removed (See note)
- 6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 6 small radishes, scrubbed and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 1 medium English cucumber (see note), sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 3/4 cup pea shoots
In medium bowl, combine labne, dill, chives, lemon juice, and Worcestershire. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter. Spread about 1 tablespoon labne mixture over butter. Top 6 slices with cucumber and radish slices, arranging them in alternating rows.
Top vegetables with about 2 tablespoons pea shoots, then cover with the remaining labne-spread bread slices, pressing down gently.
Carefully cut each sandwich in half, lengthwise or diagonally and serve.