Why It Works
- Fresh mint and cilantro add lively herbaceousness.
- Chaat masala packs a punch, adding sour, salty, funky, and tart flavors in one hit.
This herbaceous, savory lassi is the perfect accompaniment to any Indian meal. Just a pinch of chaat masala adds funky and tangy flavor, while black pepper and Kashmiri red chile powder, which can be found online, bring the heat. Think of this lassi as a drinkable raita, offering contrast to a meal of rich curries and rice.
- 1/2 bunch mint (about 2 ounces; 60g)
- 1/2 bunch cilantro (about 2 ounces; 60g)
- 1 quart (940ml) buttermilk
- 2 cups yogurt, not strained (16 ounces; 450g)
- 2 teaspoons chaat masala
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon Kashmiri red chile powder
- 2 teaspoons (10g) kosher salt; for table salt, use about half as much by volume or the same weight
In a blender, combine mint, cilantro, and 1/3 cup (78ml) water. Blend until smooth.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together herb purée, buttermilk, yogurt, chaat masala, black pepper, chile powder, and salt. Adjust with more seasoning if desired.
Serve immediately over ice. The lassi will keep in the refrigerator for three days.