A juicy, flavor-packed salmon burger stuffed with dill, onions, and horseradish, served with a sweet and creamy honey-dijon mayonnaise and avocado slices on toasted buns. It's cooked with just one skillet, and finished in about 15 minutes.
Why this recipe works:
- Using honey helps to bind the burgers together while adding a touch of sweetness that matches nicely with the browned flavors of the burgers.
- Filling the salmon with fresh dill, crunchy onions and horseradish adds tons of flavor.
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless salmon fillets, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small red onion
- 1/2 cup fresh dill fronds, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 toasted split rolls
- 4 leaves Butter lettuce
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, sliced
Place half of salmon in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped, about 10 short pulses. Transfer to a large bowl and repeat with remaining salmon. Alternatively, chop salmon by hand and transfer to a large bowl. Finely mince half of the onion and add to salmon. Thinly slice remaining half onion and set aside.
Add half of the dill, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the honey, and half of the horseradish to the salmon. Season lightly with salt and pepper and knead with hands until homogenous. Form into 4 patties about 4 inches across and 1/3-inch thick. Season exteriors with salt and pepper and set aside.
Combine mayonnaise, dijon mustard, remaining honey, and remaining dill in a small bowl and stir until homogenous
Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the patties and cook until browned, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook until the burgers are just barely cooked through and still slightly rare in the center, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a paper towel-lined tray and allow to rest for 2 minutes.
Divide lettuce and onion between the four bottom buns and place a salmon patty on top. Spoon honey mustard over them, then top with avocado and top bun. Serve immediately.