- 3 roma tomatoes, quartered
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2-in rounds
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered
- 3 medium cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 habanero pepper
- 4 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1/3 cup water, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Preheat oven to 425°F. Place tomatoes, carrot, onion, garlic, and habanero on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with sugar and salt. Toss to evenly coat. Place baking sheet in oven and roast until carrots, tomatoes, and onions have softened, about 60 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes.
Stem and seed roasted habanero. Peel garlic cloves. Place roasted habanero, garlic, carrots, tomatoes, and onion in the workbowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse until everything is finely chopped, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
Add water, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, and vinegar; process until smooth, adding additional water as needed to form a thick, uniform sauce. Season with additional salt to taste. Transfer to an airtight container and store in refrigerator for up to a week.