Simply roasted beets in a honey-sweetened vinaigrette with goat cheese, boiled eggs, and Marcona almonds.
How to Roast Beets
- 1 1/2 pounds (675g) beets, peels on, greens removed, scrubbed clean
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) vegetable oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (70g) toasted Marcona almonds, roughly chopped (see note)
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) honey
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely minced shallot (about 1 small)
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 small white onions, finely sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 ounces (110g) goat cheese
- 2 to 3 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- 1/2 cup (1/2 ounce) leaves from the center of 1 head of celery
Preheat oven to 375°F. Fold a 12- by 24-inch sheet of aluminum foil in half to form a square. Crimp two edges to form a pouch. Toss beets, vegetable oil, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl until coated. Add to pouch and crimp remaining edge to seal. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and place in oven. Roast until beets are completely tender and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into beet through foil shows little to no resistance, about 1 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Combine almonds, honey, vinegar, and shallots in a medium bowl. Whisking constantly, slowly drizzle in olive oil. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
When beets are cool enough to handle, peel by gently rubbing skin under cold running water. Cut beets into 1 1/2-inch chunks.
Toss beets, pomegranate, onion, and dressing together in a large bowl. Transfer to a plate. Garnish with goat cheese, boiled eggs, and celery leaves. Serve immediately.
Marcona almonds can be found in most specialty European-food shops. Regular almonds or pine nuts can be used in their place.