Note: This recipe calls for fish sauce, and is therefore appropriate for pescatarians. If you do not eat fish, try Golden Mountain Seasoning Sauce as a substitute for the fish sauce.
- 4 ounces thin rice noodles (rice stick)
- 1/2 small head (about 1/2 pound) green cabbage, core removed and very thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, very thinly sliced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fish sauce (see note)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice from 2 to 3 limes
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sambal oelek or other spicy red chile sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 block firm or extra-firm tofu (about 8 ounces), patted dry and cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup chopped salted peanuts
Bring a medium pot (about 4 cups) of water to boil. Place rice noodles in a large mixing bowl.
Combine cabbage, green onions, garlic, cilantro, salt, fish sauce, lime juice, sesame oil, sambal oelek, and sugar in a medium mixing bowl and toss to combine. Let sit for 15 minutes to soften cabbage.
Pour boiling water over rice noodles and let sit for 3 minutes. Drain and let cool completely. When noodles are cool, combine with cabbage mixture, add canola oil, and toss to combine. Add tofu and stir gently. Garnish with chopped peanuts and serve immediately.