Why It Works
- Rhubarb's tart flavor balances the cocktail in the place of citrus.
- Mexican vanilla is adds a spicy, woodsy side to the drink
- Pisco's viscosity and Scottish ale's richness provide an extra creamy texture.
This rhubarb and vanilla-laced cocktail gets an unexpected twist from pisco and rich Scottish ale.
- For the Rhubarb-Vanilla Syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sliced (1/2-inch) rhubarb
- 1 cup water
- 1 Mexican vanilla bean, cut lengthwise and seeds scraped (reserve pod)
- For the Cocktail:
- 1 1/2 ounces Pisco
- 3/4 ounce Rhubarb-Vanilla Syrup
- 3 ounces Scottish ale, such as Ballast Point Piper Down
- Vanilla bean, for garnish
For the Rhubarb-Vanilla Syrup: Combine sugar, rhubarb, water, and vanilla seeds and pod in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 30 minutes. Strain into an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 2 weeks.
For the Cocktail: In a rocks glass filled with ice, build the drink by adding pisco and rhubarb vanilla syrup. Gently add beer, stirring just to combine. Garnish with vanilla bean and serve immediately.
medium sauce pan, strainer, airtight container, rocks glass