Tangy, buttery, and piquant, this spin on traditional blue cheese dip features toasted pecans for crunch and flavor. It's a snap to make and can be spread on sandwiches or served with everything from chips to raw broccoli and other vegetables, so it's perfect for entertaining.
Why It Works
- Toasting the pecans allows their flavors to shine alongside the piquant blue cheese, rather than being overshadowed by it.
- Sour cream, mayonnaise, and lemon juice add extra tang and allow the blue cheese to reach a dippable consistency at room temperature.
- Yield:Serves 12 as a snack
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:15 minutes
- 1 cup pecan halves (4 ounces; 115g)
- 8 ounces (225g) blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup sour cream (8 ounces; 225g)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (4 ounces; 115g)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves and tender stems, plus more to garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Crackers, pretzels, bread, sliced fruit, and/or sliced raw vegetables, for serving
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spread pecans on a baking sheet and bake until fragrant and toasted, about 4 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, use a fork to mash blue cheese crumbles with sour cream until only small chunks remain. Stir in mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic, thyme, and parsley. Set aside.
Chop toasted pecans and mix them into the dip, reserving about 1 tablespoon for garnish. Season dip with salt and pepper.
Transfer dip to a serving bowl and top with remaining pecans and chopped parsley. Serve dip at room temperature with crackers, pretzels, bread, fruit, and/or vegetables.