This riff on classic roasted pumpkin seeds embraces Thai flavors like lemongrass, fish sauce, chili, and lime. We finish them off with a scattering of nutty toasted coconut and bright, grassy cilantro.
Why It Works
- Drying the seeds before roasting ensures they can be evenly coated in oil, for a perfectly toasted texture.
- Roasting the pumpkin seeds at a moderate temperature dries them out without burning them, for a golden exterior and crisp center.
Read more: 9 Ways to Spice Up Your Pumpkin Seeds
- Yield:Makes about 2 cups
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:1 1/2 hours
- 2 cups pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) vegetable, canola, or olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 stalks lemongrass
- 2 Thai chilies, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) honey
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Toasted flaked coconut, for garnish
- Finely minced cilantro, for garnish
Carefully wash pumpkin seeds to remove all excess pulp. Transfer pumpkin seeds to a paper towel–lined rimmed baking sheet. Allow to rest at room temperature until completely dry, about 1 hour. To speed up the process, dry pumpkin seeds in a 200°F (90°C) oven, stirring occasionally, or use a hair dryer.
Adjust oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). In a large bowl, toss dried pumpkin seeds with oil and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Roast until pale golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes total.
Meanwhile, finely chop the tender bottom sections of the lemongrass stalks. In the same large bowl used for tossing the seeds, combine chopped lemongrass with Thai chilies, honey, fish sauce, lime juice, lime zest, and minced garlic.
When pumpkin seeds are finished, remove from the oven and toss immediately with lemongrass mixture. Return seeds baking sheet and bake for an additional five minutes. Allow to cool, toss with flaked coconut and cilantro to taste, and serve.