This simple fall salad highlights carrots in two ways: thin strips shaved with a peeler and crisp quick-pickled pieces, for double the texture in one bowl. For the dressing, warm spices are toasted in ghee, offering depth to contrast the tangy yogurt and bright vinegar. Finally, tiny and tart barberries speckle the dish, and dill brings a pop of color and freshness.
Why It Works
- Peeling carrot into strips and pickling larger pieces offers two textures in one salad.
- Tart barberries add color and pop to each bite.
- Toasting spices in ghee produces warm fall flavors in this crisp salad.
- Yield:Serves 2 to 4
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 30 minutes
- 8 medium carrots (about 12 1/2 ounces; 350g)
- 1/4 bunch fresh dill (1/2 ounce; 14g), divided
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar (4 ounces; 113g)
- 1/4 cup sugar (1.8 ounces; 50g)
- 2 tablespoons (24g) kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon (15g) ghee or butter
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole star anise
- 2 tablespoons (10g) barberries (see note)
- 1/3 cup whole-milk Greek yogurt (2 1/2 ounces; 70g)
- Freshly ground black pepper
Wash and peel carrots, taking care to scrub out any dirt lodged between the carrot tops and the crowns of the carrots. Trim carrot tops, leaving only 1 inch attached on each. Using a vegetable peeler, peel carrots lengthwise to create long strips. Cover strips with a damp kitchen towel and set aside. Once most of each carrot has been peeled and only a slender core remains, split remaining carrot in half lengthwise. Repeat with the rest of the carrot cores and set aside in a shallow dish, along with half of dill.
In a small pot, combine 3/4 cup (170ml) water, vinegar, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil and pour over carrot pieces. Set aside to pickle at least 1 hour at room temperature and up to overnight in the fridge.
Just before serving the salad, melt ghee or butter in a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add cinnamon, bay leaf, and star anise and toast until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Remove spices and add barberries to the hot fat. Transfer hot fat and barberries to a large bowl. Stir in yogurt and 2 tablespoons pickling liquid and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Gently toss carrot strips in the dressing. Drain pickled carrots and chop remaining dill, then fold both into the salad. Serve right away.