Inspired by Italian asparagus alla Milanese, this Korean-flavored version takes quite a few liberties. The asparagus is sliced thinly and stir-fried with kimchi and spam, then topped with a fried egg, grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, and finished with finely grated Spanish chorizo.
Why It Works
- Stir-frying in batches ensures all components can brown lightly without overcooking.
- Freezing the chorizo makes it possible to grate like cheese.
Read more: Three Variations on Asparagus alla Milanese
- Yield:Serves 2
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 1/2 tablespoon (7ml) vegetable oil
- 3 ounces (85g) Spam, cut into 1- by 1/4-inch batons (about 1/3 cup batons)
- 3/4 pound (340g) asparagus, woody ends trimmed, stalks sliced 1/4 inch thick on the bias
- 2 medium cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/3 packed cup (4 ounces/115g) squeezed-dry kimchi, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) kimchi juice
- 1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (22g) unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- Parmigiano-Reggiano, for grating
- 1 link cured Spanish chorizo, frozen
In a large stainless steel or cast iron skillet, or in a wok, heat vegetable oil over high heat until shimmering. Add Spam and cook, stirring, until browned and starting to crisp, about 4 minutes. Add asparagus and continue to cook, stirring, until crisp-tender and starting to brown in spots, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and toss until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Scrape onto a plate.
Add chopped kimchi and cook until sizzling and dry, about 2 minutes. Scrape asparagus, garlic, and Spam back into the skillet and toss to combine. Add kimchi juice and sesame oil and cook, tossing, until liquid reduces to a light glaze, about 1 minute. Season with salt (taste first, as the kimchi and Spam are already salty). Transfer to a serving bowl.
In a small nonstick or cast iron skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat until foaming. Add egg and cook until whites are set and have a thin crispy ring around their edge, and the yolk is still runny. Season with salt.
Grate Parmigiano-Reggiano onto asparagus. Top with fried egg. Grate more cheese on top, then, using the fine side of a box grater or a Microplane grater, grate frozen Chorizo on top. Serve.