Classic Ashkenazi charoset couldn't be easier—it's a straightforward mix of apples, toasted walnuts, and sweet red wine, with some sugar and cinnamon tossed in for good measure. Make a quick batch of toasted sugar to add more dimension to the dish, or incorporate dried fruit and honey for something a bit sweeter.
- Yield:Serves 8
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:15 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds apples (675g; about 3 apples), peeled, cored, and diced into 1/4-inch cubes (see note)
- 5 ounces (140g) walnuts, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30g) quick-toasted or plain white sugar, plus more to taste (see note)
- 1 cup (240ml) sweet red Passover wine, plus more to taste (see note)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Small pinch freshly grated nutmeg
Combine apples, walnuts, sugar, sweet wine, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl and mix well. Adjust sugar, wine, and seasonings to taste.