Canned Kesar mango purée is the key to making this bright and floral drink year-round. It's perfect for sipping in the heat of summer or to bring a little sunny yellow to a cloudy winter day. This lassi is sweetened with a touch of nutty palm sugar syrup and finished with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Why It Works
- Palm sugar syrup sweetens the lassi while adding smoky and nutty flavors.
- Unsweetened Kesar mango pulp offers the most authentic flavor.
- Yield:2 1/2 quarts (2.4L)
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- For the Palm Sugar Syrup:
- 8 ounces (225g) palm sugar, grated or roughly chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- For the Lassi:
- 4 cups yogurt, not strained (32 ounces; 900g)
- 2 1/2 cups (590ml) buttermilk
- 2 1/2 cups (590ml) unsweetened Kesar mango purée
- 1/2 cup (115ml) palm sugar syrup
- 1 teaspoon (5g) kosher salt; for table salt, use about half as much by volume or the same weight
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 1/2 lime)
For the Palm Sugar Syrup: In a small saucepan, combine palm sugar with 1/2 cup (115ml) water. Over medium heat, simmer palm sugar and water mixture until sugar has just dissolved. Skim off any scum that may have floated to the surface of the syrup. Reserve 1/2 cup (115ml) syrup for the lassi; refrigerate the remainder for future use. The syrup will keep indefinitely.
For the Lassi: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together yogurt, buttermilk, mango purée, palm sugar syrup, kosher salt, and lime juice. Serve immediately over ice. The lassi will keep in the refrigerator for 7 days.