Making your own blue cheese dressing at home is worth the extra effort. For this one, we combine a not-too-aggressive blue cheese with sour cream, mayonnaise, and buttermilk, plus a touch of lemon juice to brighten it up. The buttermilk may seem superfluous, but it absolutely makes the dressing, both for the great lactic flavor it adds and also because it thins the dressing just enough for it to cascade down the face of your iceberg wedge without clotting and clumping.
Why It Works
- Buttermilk adds a lactic tang to offset the richness of mayonnaise and cheese, and allows the finished dressing to flow freely.
- A tablespoon of lemon juice brings the flavors into balance.
- Yield:Makes approximately 1.5 cups
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes
- 2 ounces (60g) mild blue cheese
- 1/2 cup (120ml) mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup (120ml) sour cream
- 1/2 cup (120ml) buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) fresh juice from 1 lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt (if needed)
In a medium bowl, mash blue cheese with a whisk. Whisk in mayonnaise, sour cream, buttermilk, and lemon juice until a smooth, slightly lumpy dressing forms. Season with pepper. (The blue cheese will likely make the dressing salty enough, but taste and add salt if necessary.) Serve.