The French 75 goes a little tiki in this rum-based rendition, from Jesse Cyr of Rob Roy in Seattle. Instead of the classic lemon, this version incorporates lime and a little orange curaçao. The drink is festively fizzy, fruity, and tart, with an underlying vanilla flavor thanks to the rum.
- Yield:Makes 1 cocktail
- Active time: 2 minutes
- Total time:2 minutes
- 1/4 ounce (7ml) 2:1 simple syrup (see note)
- 3/4 ounce (22ml) fresh juice from 1 or 2 limes
- 1/2 ounce (15ml) orange curaçao
- 1 1/2 ounces (45ml) lightly aged rum, such as El Dorado 5-Year
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 2 ounces (60ml) chilled dry sparkling wine
Add simple syrup, lime juice, curaçao, rum, and Angostura to a cocktail shaker and fill with ice. Shake until well chilled, about 12 seconds. Strain into a Champagne flute and top with sparkling wine.