If you like Old Fashioneds, you'll enjoy this simple stirred cocktail, created by Gabe Cothes of San Francisco's Salt House. It's deeply woodsy, with added depth and aroma from fernet, an Italian amaro, and orangey triple sec.
Why It Works
- Using alternative brands of fernet plays down the intensely minty, medicinal profile this cocktail would otherwise have.
- Yield:Makes 1 drink
- Active time: 2 minutes
- Total time:2 minutes
- 1 1/2 ounces (45ml) rye whiskey (such as Bulleit)
- 1/4 ounce (7ml) Jelínek Czech-style fernet, Fernet Leopold, or Fernet Francisco (see note)
- 1/4 ounce (7ml) triple sec, such as Combier or Cointreau
- Cinnamon stick and orange twist, for garnish
Add rye, fernet, and triple sec to a mixing glass and fill with ice. Stir until well chilled, about 30 seconds. Add a large ice cube to a rocks glass and strain cocktail into glass. Garnish with cinnamon stick, express orange oils onto drink, and add twist to glass.