Back when I first developed my recipe for cajeta, I stumbled onto this ice cream as a way to polish off my infinite supply of leftovers. "Leftover" cajeta may not be a thing in your world, but it's well worth making a batch for the sole purpose of churning up this silky eggless ice cream.
Why It Works
- Protein-rich cajeta keeps this ice cream silky-smooth without any eggs at all.
- Thanks to its concentrated flavor, cajeta packs a punch despite the addition of milk and cream.
- No need to ripen this eggless ice cream; it's ready to churn as soon as it's cold.
- Yield:Makes 1 quart
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:4 hours 10 minutes
- 1 recipe Cajeta Casera
- 7 ounces milk (3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons; 195g); any percentage will do
- 7 ounces heavy cream (3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons; 195g)
- 1/2 ounce vanilla extract or dark rum (1 tablespoon; 15ml)
After preparing Cajeta Casera according to the recipe, whisk in milk, cream, and vanilla or rum. Refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours or up to 1 week. Churn in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions (see note). This ice cream can be frozen up to 1 month in an airtight container with a layer of plastic wrap pressed firmly against the surface.