Juicy, tart mangoes are surprisingly excellent at cutting through the richness of the avocado in this open-faced sandwich. Unfortunately, it can be hard to predict just how sweet they'll be. If you're working with an especially ripe or fruity mango, make sure to compensate with additional lemon juice to keep the sweetness in check. A sprinkle of chili powder adds contrasting heat that more firmly anchors this toast in savory territory. Chopped mint delivers an aromatic, herbal touch, but basil would do nicely here as well.
- Yield:Serves 1
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes
- 1 slice country or sandwich bread, approximately 1/2 inch thick
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium pitted and peeled Hass avocado
- 6 (1/4-inch-thick) slices mango from 1 small peeled and pitted mango, or enough to cover surface of bread
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste, from 1/2 lemon
- Ancho chili powder
- Freshly chopped mint leaves, for garnish
- Flaky sea salt
Lightly brush bread with olive oil and toast to desired level of doneness. Top with avocado and mash with a fork to cover entire surface. Add single layer of mango, sprinkle with a squeeze of lemon juice, and dust with a dash of chili powder. Garnish with mint and salt. Serve.