Seedless cucumber does a great job adding cooling crunch to avocado toast, but it doesn't impart much in the way of flavor. Here, soy sauce adds a savory note, amped up by a sprinkle of peppery scallions. But the real kicker is a pinch of shichimi (also commonly called togarashi), a Japanese seven-spice blend of chili peppers, sesame seeds, and other ingredients like nori, ginger, and orange peel, which adds nuanced heat to each bite.
- Yield:Serves 1
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes
- 1 slice country or sandwich bread, approximately 1/2 inch thick
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium pitted and peeled Hass avocado
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) soy sauce, plus more to taste
- 4 to 5 thin slices seedless cucumber, or enough to cover surface of bread
- Thinly sliced scallion, to garnish
- Shichimi togarashi, to taste (see note)
Lightly brush bread with olive oil and toast to desired level of doneness. Meanwhile, mash avocado and soy sauce in a bowl. Top toast with avocado mixture and top with cucumber slices and scallion. Sprinkle with shichimi togarashi to taste and serve.