Though the original sangrita, a mix of fruit juices served as an accompaniment to tequila, was made with sour oranges and pomegranate, this one blends bitter grapefruit juice with honey and smoky chipotle chili powder. The combination is deep, complex, and perfect alongside a high-quality silver tequila.
Why It Works
- Tamed by a touch of honey, the mild bitterness of grapefruit juice makes a great match for tequila.
- Chipotle chili powder adds a pleasant smokiness.
- Yield:Makes 1 shot sangrita
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:5 minutes, plus chilling time
- 2 ounces (60ml) fresh juice from 1 red grapefruit
- 1/2 ounce (15ml) fresh juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 ounce (15ml) honey
- Pinch chipotle chili powder
- Kosher salt
In a small bowl, combine grapefruit juice, lime juice, honey, and chipotle chili powder and stir until honey is thoroughly combined. Season very lightly with salt, then taste and adjust any ingredients as desired. Chill in the refrigerator or by stirring with ice briefly and then straining. Serve in a shot glass alongside a good-quality silver tequila.