This easy black bean soup with smoky andouille sausage and diced mushrooms tastes like it cooked for hours, but thanks to the pressure cooker, it's ready in just one. A bright cumin-lime sour cream tops it off.
Why It Works
- Smoky andouille sausage and meaty, earthy mushrooms add complexity and depth.
- The pressure cooker turns dried beans silky-smooth in no time.
- A bright cumin-lime sour cream acts as a counterpoint to the deep, mellow soup.
- Yield:Serves 6
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:1 hour
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup; 200g)
- 2 medium stalks celery, diced (about 3/4 cup; 100g)
- 3 medium cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 ounces (225g) cremini mushrooms, stemmed, caps diced
- 3/4 pound (340g) smoked pork sausage, such as andouille, sliced into half moons
- 6 cups (1.5L) homemade chicken stock, store-bought low-sodium broth, or water
- 1 pound (450g) dry black beans, picked over for shells
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup (240ml) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon zest from 1 lime
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cilantro leaves, for garnish (optional)
In a pressure cooker, heat oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they release their juices and just begin to brown, about 6 minutes. Add sausage and continue to cook, stirring frequently, for 4 minutes.
Add chicken stock or water, beans, thyme, and bay leaf and stir well. Liquid should fully cover beans by at least 2 inches; if not, add water as needed. Season with salt. Cover pressure cooker and cook at high pressure for 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, lime zest, and cumin. Season with salt.
Using pressure-release valve, depressurize cooker. Stir stew, then season with salt and pepper as needed. Discard thyme and bay leaf. Spoon stew into bowls and top with generous dollops of sour cream. Garnish with cilantro, if desired. Serve.