A bone-in pork loin roast is one of those cuts that are guaranteed to impress. The best part is that it's also dead easy to cook just right, as long as you use the reverse-sear method: Cook it low and slow until it's perfectly done throughout, then crank the heat to brown the exterior. Here, it's rubbed with a smoky spice mix, then served with roasted root vegetables and an olive tapenade sauce.
Why It Works
- Cooking the roast at a low temperature first ensures juicy meat from edge to edge.
- Finishing it at a high temperature browns the outside.
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 1 hour
- Total time:3 hours 30 minutes
- 1 (4- or 5-bone) bone-in pork loin roast (about 5 pounds; 2.3kg)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bunch radishes, greens discarded, radishes halved (if small) or quartered (if large)
- 1 bunch Japanese turnips, greens trimmed and reserved for another use, turnips peeled and quartered
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1/4 cup (7g) minced flat-leaf parsley
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 (2-inch) knob peeled fresh ginger, minced or grated on a Microplane
- 1/4 recipe Black Olive Tapenade (1/4 cup; 60ml), mixed with 3 tablespoons (45ml) extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 250°F and adjust oven rack to center position. Season pork roast liberally with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, mix together smoked paprika, brown sugar, and garlic powder. Rub spice mixture all over pork.
Place pork on a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet. Transfer to oven and roast until internal temperature reaches 140°F, about 2 hours. Remove from oven and tent with foil for at least 15 minutes and up to 45 minutes.
Increase oven temperature to 500°F. Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil and cook parsnips and carrots until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain well. In a large bowl, toss parsnips, carrots, radishes, and turnips with just enough olive oil to coat. Arrange in a single even layer on 2 rimmed baking sheets and/or a large baking dish or roasting pan and roast until vegetables are browned and tender, about 25 minutes.
Return roast to oven and cook until crisp and browned on the exterior, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven, tent with foil, and allow to rest for 15 minutes. Return vegetables to bowl, drizzle lightly with fresh olive oil, and toss with parsley, lemon zest, and ginger. Season with salt and pepper.
Carve roast by slicing between each rib. Serve with roasted vegetables and tapenade sauce.