Stock-making is often an involved process, requiring, at the very least, a special shopping trip and some simmering time. But when you can't put in that kind of effort, this basic vegetable stock will work wonders. It's quick and easy, and far better than store-bought vegetable stock or a flavorless alternative like water.
Why It Works
- This basic recipe gives you a workhorse stock in minutes.
- The stock relies on just three main ingredients, but can be customized according to whatever you have.
- Yield:Makes about 4 quarts
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and roughly diced
- 4 stalks celery, roughly diced
- 2 large onions, roughly diced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, smashed
- Sprigs of fresh parsley, thyme, and/or a dried bay leaf
Fill a large pot with 4 quarts of water and add carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and herbs. Bring to a low boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer and let cook for at least 20 minutes and up to 40. Strain and use as needed.