A simple salad made from charred broccoli florets, olive oil–packed canned sardines, quick-pickled shallot, and fresh mint.
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 1 small shallot, sliced crosswise, then separated into rings
- Red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound broccoli, stems trimmed and florets cut into thin stalks
- Kosher salt
- 1 (4-ounce) tin sardines in olive oil, drained
- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
In a small bowl, pour enough vinegar over shallot to just cover and let stand for at least 15 and up to 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large cast iron skillet over high heat until smoking. Working in batches to avoid crowding the pan, add broccoli florets, season with salt, and cook until charred on first side, about 2 minutes. Turn broccoli and char other side. Transfer to a plate or baking sheet to cool. Repeat with remaining broccoli.
In serving bowls, arrange broccoli with sardines, pickled shallot, and mint leaves, seasoning with salt as needed. Serve.