Cherry season is fleeting, so let's make the most of it while it's here. In this incredibly easy no-cook recipe, macerated fresh cherries are treated with a sweet-sour mixture of honey and red wine vinegar, then topped with black pepper and served with good ricotta cheese, crushed Marcona almonds, and mint. Eat it in a bowl as a light breakfast or dessert, or serve it on toasted crusty bread as a snack.
- Yield:Serves 4 as a light breakfast or dessert
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:15 minutes
- 1 pint sweet cherries, halved and pitted
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups fresh ricotta cheese (see note)
- Toasted crusty bread, for serving (optional)
- 1/2 cup Marcona almonds, roughly crushed (see note)
- Fresh mint leaves, for garnish
- Flaky salt, such as Maldon (optional)
In a small bowl, toss together cherries, honey, and vinegar. Season with salt and a generous grating of pepper.
Spoon ricotta cheese into bowls (alternatively, spread it on toasted bread). Top with cherries and the macerating liquid, crushed almonds, and mint leaves. Sprinkle with flaky salt, if using, and serve.