Mix up your classic chicken salad with this summery variation made with sweet corn, avocado, and the juiciest poached chicken tossed with a light and creamy miso dressing.
Why It Works
- Cooking the chicken sous-vide allows you to cook it to a lower temperature than traditional methods, guaranteeing moister meat while maintaining food safety standards.
- Adding aromatics to the sous-vide bags packs the chicken with flavor before you even begin to dress it.
- Yield:Serves 3 to 4
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:1 1/2 hours
- 1 3/4 pounds whole bone-in, skin-on split chicken breast halves (2 to 3 breast halves)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 whole scallions, 2 roughly chopped, 2 thinly sliced
- 1-inch knob ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon white or 2 teaspoons yellow miso paste
- 1 tablespoon juice from 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard, preferably Japanese
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic, minced (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon shichimi togarashi, plus more for garnish
- 3/4 cup fresh corn kernels cut rom 1 to 2 ears sweet corn
- 1 avocado cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch dice
Season chicken generously with salt and pepper. Slice 1 lemon into 1/8- to 1/4-inch slices. Place chicken in zipper-lock bags or vacuum bags and add whole roughly chopped scallions and ginger. Remove air from zipper-lock bags by closing the bags, leaving the last inch of the top un-sealed. Slowly lower into a pot of water, sealing the bag completely just before it fully submerges. If using a vacuum bag, seal according to manufacturer instructions.
If Cooking in a Sous-Vide Precision Cooker: Preheat a sous-vide cooker to 150°F. Add chicken and cook for at least 1 hour and up to 4. Transfer to an ice bath and let chill for 15 minutes.
If Cooking in a Cooler: Heat 2 quarts of water in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until it registers 155°F on an instant-read thermometer. Transfer to a small cooler, add chicken, and seal cooler. Cook for at least 1 hour and up to 4, topping up with boiling water as necessary to maintain temperature of 150°F. Transfer to an ice bath and let chill for 15 minutes.
While chicken cooks, combine miso, lemon juice, mirin, mustard, olive oil, garlic, and togarashi in a large bowl and whisk until homogenous.
Place corn in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high power until cooked through and just starting to brown, about 1 minute. Alternatively, cook in a non-stick skillet with 1 teaspoon vegetable oil over medium-high heat until just starting to brown, about 4 minutes. Add to bowl with dressing.
When chicken is cooked, remove from bags and discard scallions and ginger. Remove skin and bones from chicken and discard. Cut meat into 1/2-inch cubes and add to bowl with dressing. Add avocado. Add sliced scallions, reserving some for garnish. Toss chicken to coat in dressing and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, sprinkled with more scallions and togarashi.