Most of us have our grilling standbys. For some, it's burgers, for others it's ribs. For me, it's chicken wings, and in particular these spicy wings marinated with soy sauce, fish sauce, Shaoxing wine, and spices. Here's how to make them.
Why It Works
- Fish sauce adds saltiness and umami depth without any strong fishy flavor.
- Granulated garlic delivers a strong garlic flavor that permeates the wings.
- Yield:Makes 4 to 6 servings
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:1 day
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 15 dried red chili peppers, roughly chopped or snipped with scissors into small pieces
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- Fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- Type of fire: two-zone indirect
- Grill heat: medium-high
In a large mixing bowl combine Shaoxing wine, black pepper, soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, granulated garlic, and chili peppers together, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Add chicken wings, tossing to coat. Cover and let marinate overnight in refrigerator.
Drain wings and pat dry. Grill wings, covered, over indirect heat for 7 minutes. Turn wings and cook, covered, until cooked through and golden brown, about 7 minutes longer.
Transfer wings to direct heat and cook until crispy on both sides, about 1 minute per side.
Serve right away garnished with cilantro.