This simple quick pickle recipe is made by soaking rhubarb in a hot brine made from red wine vinegar, water, light brown sugar, and salt and infused with fresh lemongrass, ginger, and spices.
- Yield:Makes about 1 quart
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 (6-inch) stalk fresh lemongrass, halved crosswise, then quartered lengthwise, and bruised with dull side of knife
- 1 (5-inch) knob fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 star anise pod
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 pound rhubarb, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
In a medium saucepan, combine vinegar, water, sugar, salt, lemongrass, ginger, star ansie, and black peppercorns. Bring to a boil, stirring, until solids are dissolved. Reduce to a low simmer and cook until infused with lemongrass and ginger, about 5 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
In a medium heatproof bowl, strain brine onto rhubarb. Press paper towels against surface to submerge rhubarb and let stand until cooled. Transfer rhubarb and brine to a large sealed container and refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.